Vijay Aravind.R, University Rank - 30
About the Department
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering started in the year 2005-06. The Department offers B.E-Mechanical Engineering with an intake of 180, M.E-Thermal Engineering with an intake of 18 and Ph.D Programme by Anna University Chennai.
- B.E Mechanical Engineering Programme is Accredited by NBA under Tier II. The Department has equipped with excellent infrastructure facilities worth of Rs. 120 Lakhs for the betterment of students and faculties by keeping on par with the latest trends.
- The laboratory facilities include machineries like VCR Engine, DRO Vertical Milling Centre, CNC XL Turn, CNC XL Mill, Auto Collimeter, Surface Roghness Tester etc. and softwares like ANSYS, Solid Edge, NX CAM, Lab View etc, in well-equipped condition.
- The Department has received a total grant of Rs. 9.53 lakhs so far from various funding agencies like AICTE, IE(I),TNSCST,SERB etc.
- Currently the faculty strength is 39, and 6 are with Ph.D degree, and 13 of them are pursuing Ph.D.
- Department faculty members have published 49 research papers in reputed Journals during the last 2 years.
- Eight batches of B.E-Mechanical Engineering have passed out with an average graduation rate of 82 % and 2 batches of M.E-Thermal Engineering with 100% till 2016. So far 15 of our B.E Mechanical Engineering graduates have got university ranks.
- The department has signed 31 MOUs so far with 31 leading industries for getting internship & inplant training, Guest Lectures and Consultancy works etc. On an average, 63% of students are under taking inplant training every year and 78% of students are participating in technical events like Paper presentation, Technical Quiz, Project Contest, CAD modeling and RC Racing conducted by other premier institutions.
- 69% of students are involving in sports activities/NSS/YRC/RRC activities and currently 15 number of students are in the college NCC with B certificates.
- Every year, the department is making sure that a good number of students (at least 75 students) are getting benefited from Value added courses in Solid Works, CATIA, Ansys, Creo, Six sigma, Lean manufacturing etc,during evening hours without affecting their regular curriculum through MSME/NSDC partners, which are arranged through the department.
- Every year, Department is making the students to go for Industrial visits, starting from second year, to bridge the gap between academics and industries.
- Department is taking utmost care to make sure that all the eligible students are placed in either Core or IT Companies and also we are tie-upped with many leading Recruiters like Hirotech, Rabwin Industries, Aquasub Engineering, Tech Mahindra, TCS, Zoho etc.
- Online Test, Mock HR, Seminars Technical Interview and Group Discussion are conducted from first year onwards to improve the skills required for career opportunities as well as the industry requirements.
- The department organizes guest lectures on “Awareness about Competitive Exams and Higher Studies” for the students to get an exposure on GATE, IELTS, CAT, MAT, AFCAT, SSB, GRE, TOFEL, RRB, UPSC, IBPS, TNPSC etc.
- Department is organizing Communication Skill Development activities for the voluntary students, by focusing in areas of speech, stage presentation, vocabulary and reflections.
- The students have got memberships in various esteemed Engineering Societies. All the students are ISTE Members and 125 students are in SAE. So far TNSCST, IE(I) funded an amount of Rs. 82,000 for various students projects.
- Students from Mechanical Engineering Department have participated in National level 'Go kart ' event organized by ISIE and secured 15th position among 53 teams from 13 states. Our students have participated in 'SUPPRA' event held at Buddha International Circuit at Greater Noida and secured 50th rank out of 176 teams.
- One patent has been filed in the year 2015-16.
The Department has a very strong alumni network across the Globe. Many of our alumnae are working in leading industries like Mercedez Benz, Renault Nissan, Dalmier Cement, Robert Bosch, Cameron, LMW, Pricol, John Deere Etc. And also many of them are working in Indian Navy, Tamilnadu Uniform Services, Banking sectors etc.